Monday, October 5, 2015

Good Characters

This is probably a topic you've heard a lot about from just about any L.A. class, but I think it's an important topic to talk about when it comes to your own writing as it does when discussing books in L.A. That is creating nice, round characters for your stories. A round character, by my definition, is a character that is realistic in the fact that he/she may face problems most of us face; they have good and bad sides, conflicting morals, misconceptions, ideas, hopes, dreams, etc. Everything that a normal living person would have. 

In your books it should be more then just good and bad guys, more then just, "he's like this, and she's like this, and here is how he feels." It's never simple when it comes to making characters, and you should always consider that before writing a story. Every character is a person in and of themselves. They should have back stories, history, experiences, everything. Now do you have to go in as much detail with minor characters, no, maybe not quite, but you still need some. Flat characters result in a flat story. 

So remember when creating characters, bad guys have good sides too, and visa versa. Many times the best characters are ones with conflicting morals, so that even if they're labeled a bad guy, they may have good ideas at heart. (Those are my favorite characters, personally.) Hopefully you guys create some great characters for your next story. Peace.

-Ink

3 comments:

  1. Nice job explaining. I agree, characters are really important. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post! I normally struggle with creating characters and I feel like it is a big downfall in my writing. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post! I normally struggle with creating characters and I feel like it is a big downfall in my writing. Great job!

    ReplyDelete