Thursday, January 28, 2016

A Beginning to Poetry

I think when most people think about poetry, they instantly jump to confusing lines of unintelligible text that have seven different meanings which has a meaning which has meaning which has a meaning...

My point is, people assume its just really hard to understand, and that they don't/won't understand. Really, poetry isn't that complex. It's just trying to present an idea or feeling in an interesting or new way. Most poetry isn't that ambiguous, and you can understand it with a little discussion and analyzing, and even past that most poetry you'll understand right away. I'm no grade A poet, but I'll give you a little poem to show you what kinda poetry I, a poetry fan, write. Normally it'd be a in a bit nicer format, but you'll get the point. the poem is titled, I Am. 

I am the smell of coffee grounds, at the crack of dawn
The smell of sizzling bacon and eggs, as you cook for your friends
The smell of smoke on your jacket, after a long summer weekend
The smell of sweat and rubber, going into the sixth mile.

I am the feeling of grass on your feet, and mud between your toes
The feeling of cool lake water, snatching your breath away
The feeling of a warm body and soft fur, next to you after a hard day
The feeling of warm Chai tea, hitting your cold stomach.

I am the taste of dull Chamomile, as you curl up on the couch
the taste of sushi and laughter, as we talk around a sizzling counter

I am the sound of a cicadas song, right outside your tent
The sound of restless fingers on keys, driven by an even more restless mind

I am the sight of a mornings first light, by a glowing orange dawn
The sight of a gleaming, happy smile, paired by well-used laugh lines
The sight of a newly fallen snow, on a frozen Winter's morning
The sight of a wide open book, bathed in warm lamp light.

I am hour long conversations, when no one else is awake
I am listening when everyone talks, to better understand
I am putting a song on repeat, to know its true message
I am present, always here and now, while others are past and future

This is who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment