Tuesday, December 15, 2015

B.R. of Eragon

So, I've talked a lot now about different methods and skills when it comes to writing, so now I'm gonna do what I can to put these skills into practice by reviewing some of my favorite books for these different qualities.

The first on the list, 'Eragon.'

It's a clear fantasy tale that follows in the footsteps set by Tolkien, creating a personalized fantasy world with it's own map, people, and species, that follows the tale of farmer boy Eragon as he begins his journey. While hunting, he stumbles upon a strange and extremely smooth stone, which he brings home in hopes to pawn off. To his bewilderment, the stone cracks open, hatching a baby dragon, and from there the story takes off on a adventure as he must learn the powers that come with this new baby.

Some pros about this story; it has absolutely great tone and descriptions. Its one of those writing styles that will get you hooked just through pure description. The action scenes are crisp and clear, with little confusion or muddling, and the characters are well defined with good dialogue and personalities. If you wanna see some straight up grade A writing, I would suggest this in a heartbeat. Some more good things though, it has a really good story line and world. The whole thing really just sucks you in and holds you, with twists and turns along the way through a well thought out and differentiating environment

Now, what do I think it could improve on? Not much, to be honest, however I do think it has one of the slowest opening chapters I've ever read. The language and dialogue are great, but the first three or four chapters are pretty much uneventful besides setting up for future events and characters. Besides that, I'd say its almost a little to straight forward, although that is more of a preference. What I mean is that although the story line is entertaining and fulfilling, it is rather predictable at part. A real classic fantasy plot really.

Overall, I love the book though. The rating I'd give it is an seven and a half out of ten, pretty good, but room for improvement. Until next time guys, peace.

-Ink

No comments:

Post a Comment