Sunday, December 27, 2015

B.R. of A Fine Balance

Coming into this book, I really wasn’t too excited. I knew it was about India, and that it was historical fiction, and those two combined just really didn’t peak my interest much. However when I started getting into it I had an odd feeling. Something about it was just different. The way it flowed, the dynamics of the characters, the realism and historical context; all of it just created such a surreal story, something I hardly ever experience while reading historical fiction.

It was real. A true depiction of Indian struggle that hit me much harder than I could’ve ever expected. As someone who enjoys writing their own stories, I LOVED the character development in this book. Every single one was interesting and unique with their own strengths and weaknesses. That’s what made this book so hard hitting really, that although the context and struggles make the setting seem very real, it was the good characters, the ones that felt more like real people than characters, that made it relatable and so emotional.

That being said, I really have nothing bad to say about the book. The plot is lackluster, but that can be expected when a book is shooting for realism rather than entertainment. The flow of the story was simply artful; the way it would ebb and flow between the present and the past as new characters are introduced and interesting backstories are presented. Granted, it was a bit confusing at first, because you don’t really see the relation between the characters initially, so it feels like you’re just being thrown back and forth, but once you catch the pattern it becomes really quite enjoyable.

                I’m no fan of this genre typically, but after reading it I would still recommend it to anyone looking for a good eye-opener. It really does give you a good dose of reality check, reminding you why we should be grateful and how people can be strong, even in the face of poverty and chaos.

Long story short, this was simply amazing, and I'd give this a solid nine out of ten. Until next time guys, peace.

-Ink

P.S.

                Might I add that I was really having some flashbacks to Pursuit of Happiness starring Will Smith? I mean seriously, it’s great and all, but every time, every single time, something good happens, we just have to get knocked right back down. Cut us a break, will you? I mean we readers can only take so much! Kind of inconsiderate, I know, but man this was such a sad story. I just wanted the characters, at least one, to get a happy ending. Sorry for the informality, but I had to throw that out there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment