Sunday, September 20, 2015

Step Number One

Technically this blog isn't supposed to be like a diary or journal, but at the same time a lot of what I will write about will probably have something to do with what I've experienced recently while writing or reading, as is the case here.

Now, I've only ever written short stories and poems, never something as complex and long as a novel. However, (cue drum roll please) I think I'm going to give it a shot here soon. I've got a good, but still pretty basic plot in my head, and I'm ready to start the first step in the writing process: out lining.

It's a simple concept really, so there isn't that much to explain about it. Basically the idea is to create a short list or diagram for your story. Think of it as like the basic skeleton of your story. you'll wanna go through every scene that takes place in your book, writing down major points to each scene and details about the characters so that when you begin actually writing your novel you'll have a reference to keep you on track and focused. A friend of mine, who's a fair, heavy fantasy based novelist, has almost completed her second novel now and swears to me and her other writer friends that outlining is a necessary step in the process to cranking out a real story.

So that's where I'm at, step number one. I'll keep you guys updated as I go through the steps and teach you everything I can about writing, but until then, peace!

-Ink

No comments:

Post a Comment