Saturday, February 13, 2016

New or Old?

Time for the most heated argument of all time, la piece de la resistance of modern film disputes, the classic fight to end all fights; which is better, the new Star Wars prequels or the classic Star Wars?

Well, in order to discuss this I'm going to look at each trilogy separately before comparing so I can talk about the pros and cons of both.

So, first, the classics. The strongest point, which I think is pretty obvious, is the plot and the characters of Luke and Vader. It's strong, emotional, and is built up quite nicely through the series as the two characters are built up through the plot which was interesting, logical, -for scifi at least- and fun to watch. Not to mention it's pretty damn original for it's time, which I think is especially appreciated in today's art. The only downsides I would say for this series is that the time it was made obviously didn't have much for special effects, although for it's time they were pretty great. The acting was good for the most part, but could definitely get kind of cheesy or fake at some parts.

Now, the prequels. What are they're strengths? The plot is surprisingly quite good I think, although many complain that its much to political and boring. This is because it focuses a lot on building up the backstory and world of Star Wars, which I can actually really appreciate. I really love getting to know more about this huge, expansive world that they put us in. Although you may not get this from the movies, I do really love the characters that are in these movies. That moves on to the next part though; the acting is generally pretty bad in these. Same with the script at times too, it definitely has its moments that you sit there wondering why the hell they would actually write that. *cough* Jar-Jar *cough* but ya.

So which do I think is better? The classics, of course. In my opinion, I still enjoy the prequels because of the back story and sweet light saber duels, but that's what it is; backstory. Backstory for the originals that captured everyone's hearts. The story is just so iconic and interesting and creating such an amazing world that how could you not favor the classics over the new ones?

But I mean hey, this new trilogy is off to a good start, so maybe that'll take the cake soon! Until next time though guys, peace.

-Ink

No comments:

Post a Comment