Thursday, April 14, 2016

Ending the Script

Greg;
I fell into Bill, thinking we were gonna die for sure.

Bill;
I said to Greg, ‘jump! We have to jump!’

[Greg slides his hands down, now holding Anthony by the wrists]

Greg;
It was madness, I knew that, but we had to jump. Ya know how they always say that your life flashes right before you die? Well in that moment, when the two of us jumped out of the crashing chopper, carrying nothing but armed to the teeth, I felt like I remembered everything. I remember way back when I was a kid-

[Anthony suddenly turns around]

Anthony;
Hey! I felt that!

Bill;
What? Felt what?

Anthony;
You reached you hand into my pocket! You were trying to rob me!

Bill;
No, sir, I wasn’t trying anything like that!

Anthony;
Sure you weren’t.

[Anthony takes a step back, now sizing up the two grubby looking guys]

Greg;
Please, I promise, we weren’t trying nothing.
Anthony;
What a bunch of bums. Have fun living on the streets.

[Anthony turns, storming off down the street]

Bill;
C’mon Greg! Why’d you mess it up?

Greg;
Sorry, guess I should’ve warned ya.

Bill;
No kidding! I could’ve swiped him so easy if you’d done it right!

Greg;
I know, bud, you probably could.

Bill;
Well. I guess I never thought I’d see the day you messed up a ruse. No lunch, no score-

Greg;
I never said that, now did I?

Bill;
Huh? You didn’t.

[Greg holds up a thick golden watch, letting it dangle in his hand for a second before shoving it back in his pocket]

Greg;
There’s a pawn shop right next to the salt and pepper, right?

Bill;
Uh… yeah, sure is. The Dime.

Greg;
Great, let’s get a move on then.

[Greg starts walking away, Bill close behind him]

Bill;
I know you’ve been doing this a bit longer than me, but I got to ask, why?

[Greg talks while continuing to walk]
Greg;
When he flashed his billfold I could tell he didn’t have much on him. At least nothing we could really use. But, when he was tucking his cash back away, I noticed the gold watch he was wearing. I don’t know how much it’ll cash in for, but it’ll be a hell of a lot more than his wallet.

Bill;
You’re a damn genius, you know that?

Greg;
Yeah, I do. I hope that Rueben is as good as you made it sound.

[Bill slowly smiles, then starts laughing]

Bill;

Oh don’t worry, I’m sure it’ll be great!

No comments:

Post a Comment