Sunday, April 24, 2016

The Ending of the Talisman

It was coming in for the kill. Suddenly everyone burst out of the kitchen, the whole group, just like that Jason hefted me up off of the floor, getting me back on my feet.
“MOVE!” I limped, looking behind me though, I watched as the the creature now came barreling down the stairs, overtaking Aunt Jean. We were heading for the basement, why the basement? The creature leaped from Jean to Riley, slashing her back as she fell. We were on the stairs now, heading down. My mom was behind me, but the door slammed shut on her. And all I heard was sad screaming and wailing that went silent quickly.
“Mom!” I screamed. This was all going to quickly, what was going on? Haley struggled to to get me down the stairs. I was blocking the way for her and Jack, but I had to get my mom, save her. No, I had to save Haley and Jack now. Grimly I continued down the stairs, as fast as my bruised body would let me. I could see Jason already down there, waiting for us.
“Come on Cam! Hurry!” He shouted. I hustled down, grabbing Haley's hand who grabbed Jacks in response. We were going down the long, single hallway now. Not two feet down the beast, no the demon, exploded from one door, tackling Jason into the room across from it. I heard him fighting, but there was no time. I had to save Jack and Haley. We were almost there, a mere few feet from the door at the end of the hallway, the room full of safes. Suddenly I felt Haley tug my hand, I turned back to see Jack had fallen, the demon on top of him, tearing him to pieces. No time, I had to save Haley.
I hurled her into the room, closing the door behind me and turning the little lock on the handle. Everyone dead, how had that all happened, all so quickly. But I still had Haley at least, she sat on the floor with ragged breath and a complete look of shock. Exhausted, I sat down next to her. It was complete silence now, utter silence. I leaned my head back against one of the safes, I was so tired now, so beat up. I was broken, bleeding, and scarred. There was no escape, no way to stay alive.
I put my arm around Haley, who was crying horribly now. Even if we would die soon, I would try to make the most of these few moments...
It took a few minutes, but she did stop. She stared at the door, her face had streaks of blood, probably Jack's. She probably felt as I did, just numb, to numb to be scared anymore. It felt good honestly, not being scared anymore. Instead I softly held her hand.
“I'm sorry.”
“None of this is your fault, Cam,” she said kindly.
“I mean for never coming out to you, never opening up to you.”
“It doesn't matter any more.”
“Well it did,” I explained, “And I'm sorry.” Haley turned, facing me, and leaned forward giving me a hug. I wrapped my arms around her in return. At least we had each other for now. She came face to face now, smiling at me. I smiled back, stroking her cheek and pushing the stray hairs back behind her ear. Something caught my eye behind her though. There it sat, right in the corner, almost passing as a statue. It had dark gray skin with its muscular but skinny figure. Its face would be a mans, if not for the strange snout and razor filled smile. It gave me an amused look, like this was all fun and games for it.

Haley saw my face, knowing what was coming. She hugged me tightly, not letting go, and I gripped her tightly. Almost nonchalantly the demon walked forward, knowing it was victorious. I closed my eyes as I felt Haley pulled out of my grip. I wouldn't look, but I could hear the thing going to work. It tore her apart, slowly, as if relishing my pain. I knew what it was now, or somewhat. As soon as I saw it crouching in the corner I saw the obvious resemblance. I felt the beast pick me up by my throat. Yes I knew, it was plain as day now. The markings were the exact shape of it. I pulled it out from under my shirt feeling its shape, rolling it around in my palm. The beast ripped into me now. I was to numb to feel though, and I was dying anyway. The creature itself was a living depiction of the little thing in my hand. That must have been grandfather's hand I found wedged in the safe earlier, he had been trying to lock up the necklace. Trying to make sure this beast didn't kill anyone else. Who knew such evil could lie in a little pendant, in such an insignificant thing, in just a single talisman.

No comments:

Post a Comment