Sunday, April 24, 2016

The Talisman P.2

The others continued telling jokes and sharing stories as we made our way to the kitchen.
“You know this really isn't like him,” May said, “you know him, always on time to please his customers.”
“Ya, it is strange,” I replied, swinging open the door. As we entered we were both surprised to find the kitchen dark and silent, the only sound a faint dripping.
“Where did he go,” I inquired. “Hey do you know where the light switch is?”
“Ya, one second,” May walked off around the corner into the cooking area, and the lights quickly were flicked on. I followed her around the bend, then stopped. May was planted in place, staring at the far end of the kitchen, mute. I followed her gaze and froze. There was Eric. God, what had happened? He lay on the ground, a look of peace on his face, his arms across his chest. But right in the middle, right through the center of his chest was a gaping hole, the size of a fist. Around him was a perfectly circular puddle of dark red blood. Strangest of all, he had a series of scratches on his forehead, almost like a pattern, almost... familiar.
I turned to the side, vomiting into the nearby sink. I could hear May silently sobbing, making sad choking sounds. The burning stomach acid hurt my throat as I stood, wiping my mouth.
“I... I got to go get help,” I stuttered, heading back towards the door. I entered the dining room slowly, I can only imagine how I looked, pale faced with vomit down the side of my mouth as I stared at the ground.
“Umm, Cam, are you alright,” Haley asked. I listened as all the talking seized and I captured the attention of everyone.
“It's Eric, he, he needs help,” I muttered.
“What?”
“Eric. Eric needs-” Suddenly a terrifying scream sounded out from the kitchen. Before I had even turned around Jason, Ray, and Charles had jumped up and ran into the kitchen, leaving the doors swinging. I followed behind them, going around the corner in the kitchen and, again, stopping. The guys sat, crouched, around the two bodies, as if wanting to help but not knowing what to do.
May now laid on the floor, shoulder to shoulder with Eric, the exact same process done to her as was with Eric. How was this even possible? How could someone kill her, put her in that position, and painstakingly cut that mark into her forehead? It’s not humanly possible! I backed out, feeling a sickness come up from my stomach. I couldn't look anymore. I closed my eyes, willing away the sickness, but May's empty, dead eyes intruded, as if I was staring into them. I watched my feet from then on as I left the kitchen again, intent not to close my eyes. The rest of the family was right outside the door, waiting to know what happened.
“Don't let the kids see,” was all I said as I parted through the small crowd and sat down, my head in my hands. I felt someone rubbing my back gently, and small whispering. I looked to see Haley was the one next to me, looking at me obviously concerned for me. Behind her were some of the small cousins, in front being Jack. I looked at him sadly, he was an orphan now...
The relatives tried calling nine one one, but considering this was a winter cabin in the middle of the season, they weren't sure how long it would take for the police to get there. Until then everyone had been trying to comfort me, they thought that I knew something because I went in there with May. Truthfully I was just, if not more, confused and clueless then they were. They had spent almost an hour, but now they understood nothing would result in it. As everything started to slow down and grow quiet, I heard the uncles discussing the inevitable, who. Who could have done this type of thing, but no matter how much they discussed it, there was no possibility of anyone doing it. The most logical thing the group came up with was that Eric faked his death, killed May, then truly killed himself, but we all knew that was impossible still.
Dawning on seven thirty, the decision was made that it was best to split into groups and explore the house, just in case. Reluctantly I went with Ray, Haley, and her mother and brother, to explore the west wing, where most of the kids would be staying.

No comments:

Post a Comment