Sunday, April 24, 2016

The Talisman P.4

“He came into the room, but the others didn't see him. Only I saw him. I wanted to yell, but he was to... scary. I was too scared. He stared right at me, and it’s like when he looked at me I couldn't move. Then suddenly he attacked the kids, some of them screamed, I did. But he moved so fast, it’s like it just... happened. Then he came up to me,” Jack stopped, choking up. We waited patiently for him to continue. After a minute or two he recomposed himself and continued.
“He came up to me, right up to my face, and said “Tonight, you all die.” Then he smiled and just kind of... vanished.” I could see Jack shaking, uncontrollably in fear. I gently put my arm around him.
“What did he look like Jack.” His eyes widened and he shook even more, like he was about to freeze. Then, slowly, he nodded to the living room door, which was slightly ajar. I looked, and there it was. Even though we had left the light on in the living room, it small space was pitch black. All except for the gleaming black eyes, liked polished orbs glowing in the moonlight. I watched as a large smile broke out right under the eyes, growing wider and wider, full of startling white fangs. I could just make out the dark out line of the creature, it was as tall as me, but had a small body and elongated limbs, its clawed hands also shining in the dark. It looked like, no, it couldn't be. Then it vanished into the darkness of the room.
I looked around to see if anyone else had seen, and to my surprise Jason was right in front of me, looking into the crevice of the doorway.
“Jason?” He looked back down at me, then threw another glance at the door, then bent down in front of me.
“What the hell was that,” he said under his breath. I just shook my head, how would I know? Well the way it looked though, I swear it looked like...
“Well I'm going to go check it out,” Jason said firmly, determined.
“No! You can't go alone!” I said urgently, “At least take someone with you!”
“Fine then, where's dad?” Jason looked around the room, searching for Ray. I had to tell him, as much as it pained me.
“Jason, your dad, he's... He was taken.” Jason kept looking though, even though he knew what I said was true.
“Jason, I'm... I'm sorry.” He just looked at the ground, accepting what I said.
“When we were down stairs, in the basement,” Jason started, “me and Riley stayed together, but Charles and Amelia.” He stopped, shaking his head. “They both split up. We found them, but they were both dead, that damned mark on their heads.” No, that wasn't possible, how could that thing kill Ray, the kids, and Amelia and Charles all at the same time? I looked around, taking another role call; there was me, Jack, Haley and Brandith, my mom, Uncle Will, Aunt Jean, Riley, and Jason. I hadn't even realized how few of us there were now.
Sadly I watched as Haley scanned the table, doing the same thing Jason had been doing a second ago. She looked and looked, but knew she wouldn't find who she was looking for. I took hold of her hand, but I could see the tears as she drew in shuttering breaths.
“I'm sorry.”
“She was right behind me, I swear,” she exclaimed, growing louder, “we have to go up there!” I just shook my head.
“We have to stick together,” I explained, squeezing her hand a little tighter. “It's our only hope of staying alive-”
“No! We have to! Please!” The tears came pouring down her face now, and she struggled to maintain herself.
“I agree,” Jason interrupted. I met his eye and saw the cold determination in there, just like his father had.
“No Jason.” Suddenly he broke,

“Damn it Cam! My dad is up there, her mom is up there! They could still be up there, alive!” He yelled, his voice cracking. Riley and Will had come over now, over hearing our argument. Uncle Will was normally upbeat and positive, much like my mom, but now look straight faced with bags under his bright blue eyes, even though it was only eight.

No comments:

Post a Comment