Monday, April 4, 2016

In Your Dreams

I think every writer knows that one of the biggest difficulties of coming up with new content is having the inspiration to come up with new and original ideas. Although those who consider themselves authors should be almost constantly creating new stories and editing old ones, a lot of times I think we find ourselves only writing new pieces when we're specifically inspired for that piece. That's a big difficulty, we, as creators, need to learn to push past that habit and start creating on a nearly daily basis, and one such way to do that is dreams.

Dreams are known for being crazy, terrifying, or beautiful. Sometimes they can be insightful, showing something about ourselves that we've subconsciously overlooked. All this is good and well, but my favorite feature about dreams is that they can be great starters for story ideas! On average, they're usually pretty fun and interesting, so they're easy to write about, and it's fun to retell the dream you so vividly remember and to change it however you want.

Now, if you're like me, you probably don't remember many of your dreams. That's why, although I don't personally do this myself yet, I would definitely recommend keeping a dream journal of some sorts. Every morning you can write down last night's dreams, recording what you remember before it fades away, saving it for later. It'll act as a sort of safe for story ideas, so that whenever you're feeling especially uninspired or facing some classic writer's block, you can just read through your own dreams and adapt one into a story!

I've done this once or twice myself, adapting dreams into stories, and for myself it worked pretty well actually!

No comments:

Post a Comment