Thursday, April 14, 2016

Scripts

I talk a lot about stories, poems, and movies, so there seems to be one big piece I'm missing here. Scripts. There are a lot of similarities to stories and dialogue, but the focus shifts a lot from trying to make the plot clear to trying to make the dialogue and interactions clear. Here's a bit of a script I wrote, more for feedback then teaching purposes, since I'm still learning a lot about scripts as well.

Setting; two middle-age men sit on the corner of a busy street in New York, 1975.

Bill;
So, you feeling like getting a nice lunch today? We could get a couple sandwiches down at the Salt and Pepper.

Greg;
I would, but I ain’t got the cash.

Bill;
Aww, that was sounding so good though! A nice warm Rueben or something. Those were always the best back in the day.

Greg;
Stop bringing it up. I’m hungry as hell too, but I ain’t had the cash for that in years, and you know that. Not all of us can find a job like you.

Bill;
Yeah, yeah, I know that. Just wishful thinking I guess.

Greg;
Well that’s good and all, but wishful thinking doesn’t put food in my belly or cash in my wallet.

Bill;
What about a guy like that? He can’t fill your stomach but something tells me he could give you some green.

[Greg leans forward, looking down the street]

Greg;
Real city slicker like that, I bet he could. He’s sure got a nice suit and a pair of shiny shoes.

Bill;
Let’s grab a few bucks then, yeah? Maybe pull the ol’ shoe shine on him?

Greg;
Nah, he’s a younger guy, late twenties I’d say. Too young and well-off to have seen any action. Let’s give him a story he’ll remember, ya?

Bill;
Story time it is then!


[Bill and Greg wait for the man to walk up to them. Bill pulls of his hat, holding it upward like a bowl]

No comments:

Post a Comment